In the Baa-Baa shop…
Doddington Rack of lamb with a redcurrant & port sauce
Serves 4 persons
- 4 x 4 rib racks (untrimmed)
- 3ooml lamb stock
- 150ml ruby port
- 125g redcurrant jelly
- freshly squeezed juice from a large blood orange
- 5ml of arrow root to thicken sauce if required
- 30ml vegetable oil
Method of cooking
- Trim the lamb if required (remember all the flavour of the meat is in the fat) & season with salt n pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan until hot & seal all sides of the lamb turning until browned
- Transfer the meat into a preheated oven & cook at 230oC for approx 15 for pink & an extra 5 minutes for medium.
- Leave the lamb to rest for 5 minutes at room temperature ( this is very important as the meat will tenderize itself)
Method of cooking the sauce
- Pour the lamb stock into a saucepan & bring to boil, then reduce heat while the sauce is reducing to approx half the amount.
- Add the port & allow to reduce again & whisk in the redcurrant jelly until amalgamated then ad the orange juice.
- The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon & if requires thickening add the arrow root with water stirring into the sauce & cook for 1 minute or until thickened or translucent.